It has become tradition in my family for me to make Christmas breakfast! I enjoy finding new recipes that are festive, healthy, and delicious. This year I found a gem of a strata recipe from SELF that everyone loved! Depending on the recipe you may be able to make your strata ahead of time, so that come Christmas morning all you have to do is pop it in the oven. I made this particular strata on Christmas morning without much trouble or fuss, my Dad probably wished that I had woken up a little earlier – he was hungry!
Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Strata
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus additional for greasing pan
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk (I used non-fat)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 8 oz whole-wheat baguette, preferable day-old, but into 1-inch cubes (I couldn’t find a whole-wheat baguette, but a regular French baguette worked perfectly!)
- 1 large red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
Grease a casserole dish (9″ x 13″) with oil. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, parmesan cheese and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Add bread, toss until the bread is coated, pour into dish and let sit. Heat oven to 400 F. In a large nonstick pan, heat 2 tbsp oil over medium high heat. Add bell pepper, onion, thyme and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper and sauté until onions begin to brown, about 10 minutes. Top the egg and bread mixture evenly with peppers and onions, sprinkle with goat cheese. Bake until the eggs mixture is firmed and the topping has browned, 25 minutes. Let sit for about 5 minutes before serving.
Red Pepper and Goat Cheese Strata: Tara Tested, Tara and Family approved!
This breakfast was a hit, as you can see in the picture it didn’t take long for my family to put a dent in the dish! The goat cheese provided a nice mild flavor that went nicely with the sweet peppers and onion. You can’t go wrong with a breakfast casserole like this!