Our immune systems may not be our top priority during the summer time. We’re preoccupied with getting that great beach body, protecting our skin from the sun, or grilling the perfect burger at the backyard barbecue. Although the summer season isn’t known for getting bogged down with a cold or the flu – it’s important to take care of our immune system all year long. No one wants to be stuck home sick when we could be frolicking on the beach, enjoying the sand and sea!
Here are FIVE vitamins and minerals that aid in our immune system function and where you can find them in your diet:
- Vitamin A – carrots, sweet potatoes, red bell peppers, eggs, kale
- Vitamin C – kiwi, kale, berries, spinach, citrus
- Vitamin E – almonds, peanuts, sunflower seeds, spinach, broccoli, kiwi
- Zinc – beef, pork, lamb, dark meat chicken, legumes, kiwi
- Selenium – wheat germ, shellfish, garlic, whole grains, sunflower seeds
Kiwi, blueberries, and blackberries are a few of my favorite fruits! Enjoy them for breakfast with Greek yogurt, in a salad, or as a garnish on a refreshing summer beverage. Stay tuned for a recipe featuring these immune system superstars.
Have a happy and healthy weekend!