Water makes up more than 50% of our bodies and is crucial to our health. The benefits of drinking water are extraordinary, yet many people struggle to drink enough each day. Water aids in digestion, physical performance, energy levels, keeps our skin looking beautiful, and can also aid in weight loss. It is especially important to stay hydrated during the summer when we are more active in the heat!
Here are FIVE ways to stay hydrated during these hot summer months:
- Set a goal – set a goal for how much water you should drink each day and reach it! Shoot for 1/2 of your body weight in ounces and use a reusable bottle to keep track of how many times you fill it up. I track my water intake on my FitBit app which helps me stay motivated to reach my goal.
- Have fun with flavors – literally spice up the flavor of your water with herbs, sliced fruit, or vegetables. Some of my favorite things to add to water are lemons, limes, strawberries, and cucumber with mint. Get creative and experiment!
- Bring out the bubbles – this summer I am all about LaCroix sparkling water. Some times I need something a little different and sparkling water does the trick without any added calories, sugar, or artificial flavors. Grapefruit is my favorite LaCroix flavor!
- Sip before you snack – start the habit of having a glass of water before meals or snacks. We often mistake thirst for hunger and head right to the snack cabinet instead of the faucet. Try having a glass of water first to help you determine if you are genuinely hungry or just in need of some H2O!
- Eat your water – there is no substitute for drinking water, but there are plenty of tasty foods that are an excellent source of hydration! Watermelon, cucumber, lettuce, cabbage, strawberries, celery, grapes, pineapple, and spinach are just a few foods that are very high in water content.